Wednesday, November 25, 2009

DIETERS' ANONYMOUS

Bringing the kids back from school-their last day 
of the year. They are a noisy bunch, ecstatic, thinking 
of the long vacation ahead. Home is just a few blocks 
away. The kids just cannot wait to get in and throw 
away their books-for good!

Huff and puff
huff and puff
I can hear Anju slogging at the myriad machines
trying to melt away her ample derriere
and all those protrusions at the wrong places.
That was a couple of months ago..

The kids’ summer holidays are over
at last to pack them off to school..
after the struggle to keep them occupied
for two long months..
what a relief!

After the razzmatazz of the past few weeks,
chaos reigning supreme everywhere,
suddenly the days seems to have grown longer
with time on my hands to call my own.
That’s when I decided Ill drop in at Anju’s place
With Anju around, time definitely flies
There is no end to what she knows about others
probably she knows others better than she knows herself
or even better than they know their own selves!

I decide to buy her a diet drink
after all I don’t want to be the temptress
to break her fitness regimen
She must have gotten herself an all new wardrobe by now
After all, at the pace of her work-out
it would be impossible to wear her old clothes
that would surely flap about her.
I feel rather self-conscious of the flab that Im carrying
around my waist. May be I can ask Anju to teach me a
few tricks to melt it down in real quick time.
I can hear the chimes of the doorbell echo inside Anju’s house.

I feel my eyeballs popping out of my head
Anju has bloated to twice her earlier self
She gives me a guilty look and I feel equally silly
with the cans of diet drinks which seem to mock her
Over a cup of very sweet milky coffee (may be that’s
the secret of her girth) she confesses how she resolutely
stuck to her workouts but ended up bingeing on twice
her normal quantity of food later. The cycle went on
uninterrupted until one fine day Anju realized this wasn’t
taking her anywhere and she was much better off without
her punishing work out schedules.

Now the machines are neatly stacked in a corner of 
her room. But of course they aren’t wasted
They make good clotheslines and shelves!

No comments: