Sunday, June 27, 2010

CELLULOID STARS

           The mugshot was quite attractive really.  Seemed a well-built, tall chap.  It was a friend request on Facebook.  I checked out his profile.  It was mentioned ‘Actor” against  ‘Work’.  Was he really an actor or was he shamming it?
            May be he was an actor doing ‘bit’ roles-one of the numerous extras that pass through the screen, sometimes without uttering even a single syllable.  But then there are actors who have managed to make their co-stars look insignificant even without uttering a single word. Satish Shah and Nagesh who played corpses from the movies “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron” and “Magalir Mattum” flash past my mind immediately.  Cases where non-performers upstaged the performers.
            One of my friends does have the distinction of featuring in a movie.  During our school days, an Associate Director of a movie came scouting for kids to act alongside the “Superstar”.  We were excited about it and our night and days were filled with Technicolor dreams of our future celluloid glory.  The D-day came and we gathered hopefully.  The Associate Director was not sufficiently impressed by me whereas my friend was selected. 
Cut to a few months later, we had all assembled to watch the movie featuring my friend.  With bated breath we waited for the song featuring her.  And she shrieks gleefully “That’s me, that’s me!!”.  I cannot spot her.  I ask her repeatedly.  “Don’t you see the one next to the flower pot? That’s me!” she says proudly.  Well, now I see her-all covered up from head to toe in a cute pink bunny rabbit costume with not an inch of skin showing!!
Well, that brings to my Facebook star-I have no means of knowing if his acting experience was similar to that of my friend.  I rejected his friend request!

32 comments:

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

Good evening!
Very interesting story.

subu said...

'All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players(actors):
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages'.

Actors always find it difficult to prove themselves... both on and off screen!

Latha Nair said...

Thanks Amin-
Glad you were the first to comment:)

Latha Nair said...

Thanks Subu, Shakespeare has something for everyone I guess.

Latha Nair said...

Thanks Subu, Shakespeare has something for everyone I guess.

Rama Ananth said...

Hi Latha,
Had been away for the weekend.Really had a good time, plenty of good food and plenty of undisturbed sleep.
An actor is waiting within each one of us, waiting for that talent to be tapped.
I have had the opportunity to act in some Tamil plays and also in some English plays, all good roles, but of late nothing to brag about.
The problem of going to the rehearsal, coming back late at night, is too much.
However I really enjoyed the chances and also the appreciations I got from everybody concerned.
So your creative juices have started flowing, great.

SUFFIX said...

ROFL:), This reminds me the Vivek's joke 'yeppadi iruntha naan ippadi aayitten'. There are people act like professionals and professional actors -:). Interesting posting Latha.

ajayfabulous said...

I could just postpone my work to read your posts... and thats what I am dng :)

Rahul said...

You should have found out, you could have clicked the accept button :D

Well sometimes certain things are better left this way ;)

Known is a drop, unknown in an ocean, they say! :D

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

I want to say the truth,I do not love the stars.To say the star to the popular actors I think. it is not right

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Latha:)

This is indeed a wonderful post which brought in my childhood memories. I use to pretend to be MGR, Sivaji and Gemini Ganeshan. I reached no where in the tinsel town and I ended up doing a sales job all my life with plenty of traveling and acting in front of the customers. In sales it is said that the first impression is the best impression. I remember combing my hair several times and adjust my tie innumerable times, checking to see if my shoes are polished, having a smile on my face and so on just to put on a good show in front of the customers. Sometimes I succeeded and sometimes I failed. The trouble is I had to put up a different act in front of different customers and it was quite tough. But then I had a healthy outdoor life seeing different places, meeting different people, eating different food and so on.

So if you ask me whether I acted, I should say that I acted all my life and now here I am in Kochi trying to recall all those wonderful years of make believe.

I enjoyed reading your interesting post Latha:)
Joseph

Chandrika Shubham said...

Interesting post! Enjoyed reading it. :)

R. Ramesh said...

as i said the blog helped me come across severl wonderful people, inc u...and thanks for the encouragemnt..cheers:)

Latha Nair said...

@Rama-That's interesting!
So do we get to hear some
mazedaar anecdotes from your
acting experiences?

Latha Nair said...

@Shafi-thanks
Guess it takes a lot of luck
and little talent to click
on the silver screen.

Latha Nair said...

Thanks Ajay,
So you found an excuse
not to work!! :)

Latha Nair said...

@Rahul-Thanks for the patient
read and the sincere comments
Its the unknown that adds
to the aura of a film star!

Latha Nair said...

Hi Amin,
The true nature-lover speaking!!:)

Latha Nair said...

@Joseph-Thanks for sharing a
slice of your life :)
There is a little bit of an
actor in each of us I guess.

Latha Nair said...

@Chandrika-Thanks a lot
for your encouraging words :)

Latha Nair said...

@Ramesh-Thanks-the feeling is mutual :)

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

Interesting post ,beautiful comments................

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

You are right,I love the nature.....

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

I think to be a star changes the mind of human to bad side.........

Krishnakumar said...

hmm.. may be not fully out of writer's block.(compared to your earlier blogs and going by the high standards you have set)

Latha Nair said...

@Krishnakumar-Quite true :)
All work and no free time
has made my brain absolutely dull!!!

Readers Dais said...

Hi! Latha,

an interesting post, hmmm small time actors do turn big, vikram was a small time hero in malayalam film industry and look where he reached now, not sure whether its true but in the film iruvar mgr's initial plights to get into films hve been beautifully picturised by maniratnam...

Unknown said...

Interesting Post. . .

Neena Sharma said...

Interesting...U should have accepted his friendship offer and checked out.

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

May be,Neena sharma is right!

മൃതി said...

interesting

Haddock said...

Love these types of caricatures.
When we were in school, we used to get this in side the wrapper of some toffees. Collecting these wrappers was a hobby with kids.