Thursday, March 25, 2010

IPL FOR DUMMIES

            Don’t let the title mislead you! This is not a self-help blog to decipher the nuances of Indian Premier League T20 Cricket or navigate through the maze of IPL jargon.  May be a more appropriate title would be ‘Dummies and the IPL’.  So now that you are suitably unimpressed, adventurous enough and more importantly, if you don’t mind wasting a few more minutes of your life, do proceed further, by all means.
            When everyone is gripped by the IPL fever, I thought it the right topic to write about.  What a cunning move to garner maximum readership!! (Did I hear you snigger?)  But a little problem confronted me-should I not know cricket (not the six-legged variety) in order to write about it?  I bolstered my self-confidence by recalling the words of wisdom, that no one who feared the waves ever found a pearl and plunged into my task.
            I decided to equip myself with at least a rudimentary knowledge of cricket.  What better way than to watch the IPL3 matches?  I was glued to the television set keeping track of the teams. Within a week I was familiar with the colors of the teams ranging from sunflower yellow to hideous purple, not to speak of the golden pads and silver gloves.  I was an encyclopedia of knowledge about the team-owners and their sartorial styles. I started waiting eagerly for the off-field cat-fight between Ms. Kat and Ms. Deeps who were both promoting the same team.  I knew all about the hands-on (!) style of Ms. Zinta and the aloof hands-off style of Ms. Shetty in supporting their respective teams.  Priety pranced about all over the field jumping up and down like a yo-yo all the time and giving out ear drum-splitting screams resembling the battle cry of a T. Rex.  In complete contrast was Shilpa who chose to sit demurely beside her richie-rich hubby displaying her fashionable shades and other random accessories and diamonds the size of rocks which our very own Chandrayaan brought from the moon, her sound-bite never progressing beyond a giggle.
            After a week, I sought the help of my friend to bolster my attempts at mastering cricket.  After all, there is strength in numbers.  So, it was a combined effort thereafter.  But sadly, no two women agree on anything.  So, as we sat drooling over Dhoni’s biceps, we had our eternal arguments about whose curls were wilder-was it Malinga or Murali, who had the highest cuteness factor-was it Lee or Gilly, and in between, trying to spot the similarities between the Pathan brothers.  We derived sadistic pleasure in choosing the teams for the last two spots-would it be the Rajasthan Royals, Kolkata Knight Riders or the Kings XI Punjab?  Two weeks just flew by in a haze of fours and sixers. 
            So what if I haven’t mastered cricket?  When the commentator says that Harbhajan has bowled a maiden over, I know that he isn’t referring to a Bollywood starlet.  I may not know what fine leg/square leg/leg break/leg bye mean, but I do know they are not anatomical references.  I know enough not to think dirty when I hear about the Asking Rate.  I’m quite happy with my progress so far.  There are a few more weeks to go for the grand finale of the IPL Season 3.  By then I’m confident I will update my knowledge and know for a fact how many swigs of Kingfisher beer Dr. Mallya takes during every match, if not what the googlies/yorkers/bouncers mean!!

16 comments:

Untitled said...

The power of Bollywood + IPL is irresistible. Hate it though..

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

Hello! Thank You for visiting to my blog.Interesting blog.

Bennyh said...

hey lata-i was bowled over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is written wonderfully well
& has a professional touch to it & wonderful sense of humour
great great great!!!!!!!!!!

Latha Nair said...

@Pavan-There are only extreme reactions-either love it or hate it-u cannot remain indifferent. Its so difficult to ignore it when it hits us from everywhere constantly -media, family, friends. Its a good entertainment probably for ppl with time but a waste of precious time for those without.

Latha Nair said...

@Amin-Glad that u find it interesting, thank you

Latha Nair said...

@Benny-Thanks, but 'professional touch' is a bit too much to digest :D
Glad you aren't annoyed by my silly comments.
For you cricket is a religion, after all :)

Untitled said...

i dont know, for some reason, i never found it interesting..but odi's between countries is different..

Vishwanath Seshadri said...

Very funny and humourous blog on cricket - the favourite pass time of Indians... BTW, Mr Mallya is not downing Kingfisher beer - I believe it is Red Bull the energy drink :-))

Looking forward to you replacing Mandira Bedi by IPL 4 !!!

Latha Nair said...

@Pavan-That seems to be the general opinion of cricket fans. But for someone who s not so passionate about cricket(like me), T20 is the better option-less time wasted, more entertainment:)

Latha Nair said...

@Vishsesh-I thought it was just ppl like me who noticed such inane details-nice to know I have u for company :)
Wouldnt mind being the next Ms.Mandira if someone actually pays to hear my silly comments :D

ajayfabulous said...

Lucky u... watching IPL as a mission. I'm struggling here and there to find a place to watch a match at least...
Seems like u r more interested in the celebs' actions and accessories more than the bat-ball work :)...
And by the way you have written this, you can surely do better than Mandira in that place. Apparently even Mandira doesn't know more than what you do...

SUFFIX said...

You and your friend have done a good job, while those whiz statisticians analysing the balls movement by inches (i wonder is it necessary?)!!

Latha Nair said...

@Ajay-that sounds suspiciously like a back-handed compliment :D thanks anyway
concentrating more on the off-field action is not out of choice but out of compulsion-I can write about only what I know :D

Latha Nair said...

@shafi-shows how much time we have on our hands! I can't write anything much about the game itself so I choose to write on the next best thing (in my opinion)
IPL is more about the atmosphere than about the game itself I guess. So I suppose I can be pardoned for trivializing it

subu said...

Good post! I stopped watching cricket long back. But this IPL seasion made me follow many people who are/were connected to IPL... Shashi, 'nanda, pawar, praful, modi, jaitely, mallya, shilpa, zinda, khan, Srinivasan & many more! Long legs, shortleg, maidens & googlies are seen off the field also.. which makes cricket a popular game for soo many!

Latha Nair said...

@subu-yeah, rightly said. Both on and off field action have been quite exciting-to put it mildly