Sunday, January 17, 2010

BIG BAD WEB

Its been ages since Ive stepped foot on cyberspace.
Rewind to a couple of months ago...
Dawn breaks over the perpetually hot and
smoldering city. Even if the term hot..hotter..hottest
has been done to death in describing the city's weather,
nothing else conveys the true fact so bluntly and
effectively.
Ive hit the snooze button for the umpteenth time.
Ah, the pleasure of a few stolen moments of sleep...
I open my eyes a crack and check if there's sufficient
light flitting through the curtains. Oh not quite-so time
enough to turn over and snooze a wee bit. That's when
it dawns on me-literally and figuratively-I haven't set
foot on cyberspace for eight long hours at a stretch now.
OMG!! Horror of horrors!! I make a mad rush to the
bathroom, slosh some water over my groggy eyes and
dash over to the PC. Here comes the tricky part...
Now, I would seriously suggest having a silencer while the
system boots. The wretched thing makes an assortment
of noises-whoosh, pop, blip, beep....guaranteed to bring
even the heaviest sleeper crashing onto Mother Earth
from La-La Land. The shrill beep of the UPS brings
some faint stirrings from the bedroom which I successfully
quell with some soothing words.
When all is safe and sound, or rather, soundless,
I merrily start checking my all and sundry mail accounts,
blogs, tweets, facebook, orkut, minglebox etc. etc.
By the time Round One of this ritual is complete, I get a
feeling that someone must have logged on by now and
posted something interesting somewhere in my cyberscape.
So its Round Two now of mails, blogs, tweets etc.
Time flies by...
Daughter's lunch bag stands by desolately neglected...
she looks even more so. But not bad..not bad at all...
Today Im only an hour behind schedule.
And so, then started my de-addiction program....
No more setting foot in cyberspace. Power corrupts
and cyber power corrupts absolutely. Im determined
to stay away from the corrupting influence of the big
bad web...until my hubby relents to all my cajoling,
threatening, pleading and our Net connection is restored.

4 comments:

ajayfabulous said...

I've hit the dictionary button for umpteen times to finish this...

Latha Nair said...

good-i managed to keep u busy

Unknown said...

very well written
vivid description
at places looked as though iwas reading my stuff!
great style!

Latha Nair said...

@rmukarram-thx-waiting to read ur stuff;)